[GTALUG] Intel Baytrail systems may become stable under Linux!

Michael Hill mdhillca at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:19:43 EST 2017

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 3:34 PM, Scott Sullivan via talk
<talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Popped the latest multi-arch Debian ISO (8.7.0) into my trusty ZALMAN
> external drive with virtual CD/DVD function.

My experience is similar on my ASUS T100TA, but I started with the
Debian multi-arch 8.6.0 on a USB stick and keep it upgraded to
stretch/sid.

For kernels I've been following the (infrequent) Ubuntu packages from
the T100TA G+ community. I have bootable 4.7 and 4.8 kernels installed,
but 4.4.14 has been the best so far...

- I have my music library installed and the headphone jack functions.

- no camera yet but I don't miss it.

- a great size for writing docs at a hackfest, paired with my
laptop-size ThinkPad Bluetooth keyboard. (I did this at Red Hat in the
summer.) It will boot GNOME continuous in a VM.

Issues I haven't taken the time to resolve:

- no tap support (screen or touchpad--the touchpad requires an actual
click) after 4.4, kind of essential when I'm using it without the extra
keyboard.

- screen rotation was non-functional but sprung to life after a recent
upgrade (kernel firmware, maybe?). It defaults to upside-down in
landscape mode, so I had to un-rotate it (at the command line) and lock
it.

Mike