[GTALUG] Lenovo Thinkcenter M72z All-in-One -- at Newegg.ca

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 8 11:25:39 EST 2017

On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 04:05:48PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> Offer ends today.
>
> It is interesting if it is something you want.
>
> - refurbished.  This is probably off-lease (the product is quite old).
>   Some folks have had bad experiences with refurbished products sold
>   through NewEgg.ca.
>
> + i7 processor
>
> - i7 3770s (four generations back).  The "s" means lower power and
>   lower speed (but not laptop level) -- probably a good tradeoff.

Well I don't think a 65W versus 77W is that much low power, and 3.1GHz
versus 3.4GHz on the regular 3770 isn't that different.

> - unspecified video resolution.  Probably lower than I'd like.
>   Probably 1600 x 900.  No idea if it is IPS.  It might be a
>   touch-screen (but I think that they would have mentioned that).

I don't think they would have put IPS in that thing.  Even a lot of the
high end thinkpads didn't get IPS panels at that time (grumble grumble
grumble).

> - unspecified connectivity.  Does it have USB 3?  Does it have HDMI?
>   Probably: USB 2-only, gigabit ethernet, DisplayPort, stereo in and
>   out.

Displayport they have.  Microphone and headphone yes.  USB 2.0 (2 on
front, 4 on back it appears).  Gigabit ethernet (crappy RTL8111, but
it's there).  Displayport is almost certainly DP+ meaning passive adapters
to HDMI and others are easy and cheap.

> - doesn't say who did the refurbishment.  1 year warranty is
>   apparently included (good!) but then they want to charge you an
>   additional $40 for a one year "hassle free replacement" warranty.
>   Does that mean that the included warranty includes hassles?
>
> - There is no indication of who provides the default warranty (there
>   are indications that it isn't NewEgg).
>
> - don't forget to add the $15 shipping.
>
> - There is no indication what the exact model is.  There are lots of
>   models of the M72z.  Here's a list of the most popular variants:
> 	<http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/withdraw/M72z.pdf>

Yes that info would help a lot.

--
Len Sorensen