[GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and Recommended Backup Software)

Russell Reiter rreiter91 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 13:59:12 EST 2017

On Feb 3, 2017 2:05 PM, "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

On 2017-02-03 12:56 PM, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:

> Apparently some of them they put the USB interface right on the drive
> controller board, so it doesn't even have a SATA connector.

Like the “WD PiDrive Foundation Edition” for the Raspberry Pi:
<http://wdlabs.wd.com/products/wd-pidrive-foundation-edition/>

> Not sure I want to use clay tablets.

Oh I dunno: a CNC controlled punch could impress QR-Code-like
Reed–Solomon encoded data on wet feldspar clay tiles. Fire that with a
nice glaze and you'll get a few kilobytes per tile that will last for
pretty much everyone's definition of "forever". Proper storage should
consider plate tectonics as a threat model.

Reformatting the media, however, is left as an exercise for the reader.

With the proper isotope markers in the mix = Bitcoins. Grind em up and
start a new fork after the digital value is siphoned off.

Russell

 Stewart
---
Talk Mailing List