[GTALUG] Lenovo Thinkcenter M72z All-in-One -- at Newegg.ca

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Feb 4 16:05:48 EST 2017

| From: William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>

| I came across    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883795779
|    $1000 -> $340
| Not sure how upgradable it is, but as "all-in-one" goes, it's cheap.

Offer ends today.

It is interesting if it is something you want.

- refurbished.  This is probably off-lease (the product is quite old).
  Some folks have had bad experiences with refurbished products sold
  through NewEgg.ca.

+ i7 processor

- i7 3770s (four generations back).  The "s" means lower power and
  lower speed (but not laptop level) -- probably a good tradeoff.

- unspecified video resolution.  Probably lower than I'd like.
  Probably 1600 x 900.  No idea if it is IPS.  It might be a
  touch-screen (but I think that they would have mentioned that).

- unspecified connectivity.  Does it have USB 3?  Does it have HDMI?
  Probably: USB 2-only, gigabit ethernet, DisplayPort, stereo in and
  out.

- doesn't say who did the refurbishment.  1 year warranty is
  apparently included (good!) but then they want to charge you an
  additional $40 for a one year "hassle free replacement" warranty.
  Does that mean that the included warranty includes hassles?

- There is no indication of who provides the default warranty (there
  are indications that it isn't NewEgg).

- don't forget to add the $15 shipping.

- There is no indication what the exact model is.  There are lots of
  models of the M72z.  Here's a list of the most popular variants:
	<http://www.lenovo.com/psref/pdf/withdraw/M72z.pdf>