[GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and Recommended Backup Software)

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Fri Feb 3 10:33:27 EST 2017

Please see below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "znoteer--- via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
To: <talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 3:32 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and
Recommended Backup Software)

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017, at 11:01, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. via talk wrote:
>

>> 6. Includes a custom-designed and compact, easily-attached retro-fit
>
>> "grip" for the portable HDD, the grip eliminates all cable
>> strain on the
>> USB-A connector, yet is small enough so that the portable HDD,
>> together
>> with the grip and coiled USB-A-to-USB-C cable, still all easily
>> fit into
>> a small Canada Post P.O. box at any Postal Outlet. (Although the fine
>> print in the CP P.O. Box rental contract, specifically excludes box
>> use
>> for "storage". I have never had any problems with my local Postal
>
>> Outlet, over my storing backup media in the box.)
>

> Interesting idea to store a backup in a postal outlet.

Not a very good idea, I must admit.

>> My thinking for this USB HDD docking station design is, once my new
>
>> debian Linux PC is operational, to consider developing the docking
>
>> station as a saleable product, likely through a crowd-funded
>
>> premium-based financing model, where the premium will be a
>
>> deeply-discounted early-release model of the docking station.
>

> I hope you'll announce any eventual financing campaign on the list!

I'm kind of hoping for a backup dock "magic bullet" to come flying at me
from GTALUG, so I won't have to actually develop a new dock.

If I do decide that there's no other satisfactory backup dock solution,
then certainly GTALUG will be the first to know about any crowd-funded
initiative. It's GTALUG after all, who are responsible for sparking the
idea, in the first place :)

I'm thinking of open-sourcing any dock device design anyway, so if I do
open source it, I would share it with GTALUG.