[GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and Recommended Backup Software)

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Fri Feb 3 10:32:47 EST 2017

Please see below.

Steve

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stewart C. Russell via talk" <talk at gtalug.org>
To: <talk at gtalug.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2017 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: [GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and
Recommended Backup Software)

> On 2017-02-02 03:32 PM, znoteer--- via talk wrote:
>>
>> Interesting idea to store a backup in a postal outlet.
>
> CP likely has the right to remove anything from a box that they
> suspect
> is being stored, so I wouldn't rely on this.

Very true. I'm not happy with using the CP P.O. Box, but I really don't
have much choice at the moment.

I was formerly using a mailbox at a nearby UPS Store, and their
management had no problems with the backup media storage concept. But
unfortunately, the owners of that UPS franchise location closed the
store, and now the nearest available UPS Store is too far away.

I was thinking of approaching the Oakville Public Library, to see if
they might perhaps be interested in getting in to the offsite storage
business. They have a very extensive system of branch locations, and
they run a pretty impressive operation for keeping track of lots of
small items containing information ...

>> I hope you'll announce any eventual financing campaign on the list!
>
> SATA docks are already a commodity thing, with video users moving
> tonnes
> of data around via bare drives in slip cases. Canada Computers has USB
> 3
> SATA docks for under $40.

I did look at SATA docks, and found only the one from www.startech.com
that had a cooling fan, but I'll go back and look again. Maybe a cooling
fan isn't so important, for a backup drive that isn't being hammered
constantly 24 / 7 with updates?

It would make me feel a little nervous, the idea of slinging around an
HDD with an exposed SATA bus connector. USB gives me a better feeling of
comfort, since the USB connector is designed to be end-user operable,
and presumably likely is more robust than the SATA, under conditions of
e.g. static electrical effects.