[GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and Recommended Backup Software)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Feb 1 16:02:52 EST 2017

On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 11:49:32AM -0500, Jason Shaw via talk wrote:
> Getting 500 GB SSD for <$100 is probably not going to happen.
>
> I personally like the form factor of Western Digital Passport drives as
> they are USB powered,  USB 3, and small form factor.  I get decent
> performance out of it, and so long as your backups are incremental, after
> the initial sync, the future changesets should be fairly small.

The WD elements are plain external drives.  The WD passport comes with
windows backup software and encryption and other things that probably
at best are not useful with linux and at worst might make the drive more
difficult to actually use with linux.

So the WD elements is probably better to look at.

https://community.wd.com/t/how-do-i-unlock-wd-my-passport-in-linux/10572/2
points out that using the encryption on the WD passport makes it unusable
with linux.

Canada computers appears to have a WD elements 1TB drive for $85.

--
Len Sorensen