[GTALUG] Portable Backup Drive Compatible with Linux (and Recommended Backup Software)

Giles Orr gilesorr at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 15:06:42 EST 2017

On 1 February 2017 at 14:00, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 12:13:17PM -0500, Brad Fonseca via talk wrote:
>> On 01/02/17 12:06 PM, William Park via talk wrote:
>> <snip>
>> > You have 2 options here:
>> >     - buy preassembled external drive (I recommend this)
>> >     - get drive and enclosure separately and assemble yourself.
>> <snip>
>>
>> William,
>>
>> Do you recommend any particular brands/models of pre-assembled external
>> drives based on my requirements?
>
> WD and Adata seem to be at the front, marketing wise.  Not sure about
> reliability, since I don't have them.  My main issue with external 2.5"
> harddisks is power issue.  Peak current of 500mA USB2 and 900mA USB3 may
> not be enough.

About a decade ago they used to make drives with three USB connectors:
one to the drive, and two to the host machine so they could draw up to
twice as much power.  Every experience I've had since then (across
multiple computers, multiple external 2.5" drives, and eight to ten
years) suggests that excessive current draw simply isn't a problem.
External portable drives "just work:" that's a decade old problem that
should be laid to rest.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/