[GTALUG] Apache Traffic Server HA

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Thu Dec 21 13:15:24 EST 2017

On 12/21/2017 12:30 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 21, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Greg Martyn via talk <talk at gtalug.org
> <mailto:talk at gtalug.org>> wrote:
>

>     Has anyone run Apache Traffic Server in production? I've used it
>     for a proof-of-concept before, and I like it overall, but I'm
>     about to recommend its use and would like to hear any horror stories.
>
>     I'm planning on using it as a reverse proxy cache for a site that
>     is expected to have a couple tens of thousands of active users at
>     peak. I'd have HAProxy in front for HA, with a mirror setup of
>     everything below it, talking to ATS, with another HAProxy behind
>     ATS for load balancing the origin servers.
>
>     Any comments welcome.
>

> Most definitely NOT speaking as an expert but in my perambulations
> around the web I have found mention of using nginx WITH apache2
> specifically in some kind of a reverse proxy cache system/mode.
>
> https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-nginx-as-a-reverse-proxy-for-apache
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/30705/how-to-set-up-nginx-as-a-caching-reverse-proxy
>    seems to have a fair amount of suggestions
>
> https://www.nginx.com/resources/wiki/start/topics/examples/reverseproxycachingexample/
>
> https://guides.wp-bullet.com/how-to-configure-nginx-reverse-proxy-wordpress-cache-apache/
>
>    lots of setup stuff available here
>
> I was using
>
> nginx + apache2 + reverse proxy cache
>    in duckduck
>
> apache2 + reverse proxy cache
>    seems to offer less proposals than the previous
>
> Perhaps this coupling would work for you.

To add another data point I have used squid as a reverse proxy on a
couple of high traffic project over the years.

I wonder about caching and if there is a gain when you have multiple
back end servers.
If your caching proxy server pushes the data out to a disk cache then it
may not be much faster than getting the data from the directly connected
web server.
The proxy server is a operating off a single disk for that data where N
web servers are operating off of N disks.

One of the things to be said for a simple non-caching proxy like HAProxy
is that it is small and fast.
As soon as you start caching you need to handle lots of corner cases
like what to do with requests with big results.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||