[GTALUG] which fits in better with Gnome3 -- MATE or Cinnamon?

David Ing isss@daviding.com isss at daviding.com
Sat Dec 16 13:10:47 EST 2017

With Ubuntu 12.04, the performance of Unity on my Thinkpad X200 (Core 2
Duo, 8GB RAM) was slow, so I used the Gnome Fallback (which was Gnome 2).

With Ubuntu 14.04, Gnome Fallback was no longer available, so I install
Mate, and used that an alternative desktop.  It mostly stayed out of the
way of Unity, and included a different terminal and file manager.  I tried
Cinnamon, but that caused so many conflicts that I seem to recall having to
practically do a reinstall of Ubuntu.  Ubuntu 14.04 with a Mate desktop was
snappy and productive.

With Ubuntu 16.04, Unity performance had improved so much that Mate wasn't
really necessary.  However, the impending move at Ubuntu 18.04 from Unity
has caused me to explore alternative desktops.  KDE Plasma 5.9 on top of
Ubuntu 16.04 caused issues with LightDM.  Rather than fight the issues, I
moved to Kubuntu 17.04 (with KDE Plasma 5.9) and was really impressed with
performance.  I've now moved to Kubuntu 17.10 because an advanced setting
for an L2TP VPN was fixed with that.

So, if you're looking at coexistence with Gnome 3, my guess is that Mate
would causes fewer issues.

If the user is coming from a Windows experience, it's worth paying
attention to KDE Plasma after version 5.9, as the development processes on
the team have changed drastically over the past 2 years.  The desktop team
now works primarily on KDE Neon (frequent updates to KDE on an Ubuntu LTS
base), and there seems to be enough crossover members so that Kubuntu (at
the non-LTS version) gets integrated and updated.

If the user is coming from a Mac experience, I now recommend Deepin Linux,
which is a complete desktop environment (centered out of Wuhan, China)
built on top of Debian unstable.  I had tried Manjaro Deepin, but Arch
wasn't playing well with Grub on a triple-boot laptop.  A casual Mac user
would probably prefer the integration in Deepin Linux, while the hard core
developer coming from a Mac might prefer the depth of Arch repositories
available via Manjaro Deepin.

This reports on my experiments in 2017.  I have a colleague from Finland
who is on an assignment in China, so my computer support for her needs to
be bulletproof.