[GTALUG] Was Re: [browser bitching] Now: considerations for user controlled browser segmentation

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 09:19:03 EST 2017

Anyone who understands this topic better (and there are likely lots of you)
please modify the subject!

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:59 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. <apetrie at aspetrie.net>
wrote:

> Please see my comments below.
>
> With apologies for wordiness ...
>
> Steve
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: o1bigtenor via talk

Preach it brother. I do NOT like my online life being controlled as much as
it is and that controlling appears to be headed for greater levels (see FCC
removal of net neutrality).

> * * *
> * * *
>
> There are text-mode web browsers out there that actually have no GUI, they
> work at a command line prompt. But I decided I couldn't use them because:
> either they offer no Win XP-compatible version, or they are not up to date
> with current HTML technology.
>
> But no doubt, most of the basic building blocks of a p'n'c browser are
> already available in open source libraries. So, the task of building the
> p'n'c browser would be more of an integration challenge than a greenfield
> coding challenge.
>
> An interesting axample of the kind of technololgy that could be harnessed
> in a p'n'c browser, crossed my eyes today:
> ===
> Headless Chrome and the Puppeteer Library for Scraping and Testing the
> Web   Wednesday 29 November
> http://www.i-programmer.info/news/87/11344.html
>
> With the advent of Single Page Applications, scraping pages for
> information as well as running automated user interaction tests has become
> much harder due to its highly dynamic nature. The solution? Headless Chrome
> and the Puppeteer library.
> There's just one caveat. Since CDP only works with Chromium, Chrome and
> other Blink-based browsers, so does Puppeteer. If you require more than
> that, then sticking to Selenium and its WebDriver API still remains the
> best option..
> ===
>
> The Selenium WebDriver API might be a useful code base to be considered,
> in the design of the p'n'c "subversive incremental load" browser ...
>
> My 2 cents worth.

OK - - - so any suggestions out there on how to achieve this, at least IMO
worthy goal?

Dee