[GTALUG] [browser bitching] Re: Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

Steve Petrie, P.Eng. apetrie at aspetrie.net
Fri Dec 15 08:59:51 EST 2017

Please see my comments below.

With apologies for wordiness ...

Steve

It seems to me that there's a clue in the above proposal by Dee, quoted
here:: "Perhaps it is time that browsers were split into parts that do
separate things, and things that could be managed by the USERS of those
browsers rather than by the advertising".

Dee complains when current browser technology is unable to cope
gracefully with his huge web page workload.

I also suffer a browser resource contraint problem, but mine is due to
my outdated PC and Internet hookup. 1. use an extremely amcient
operating system (Win XP SP3 until I get moved to a new PC with debian
Linux.), and 2. the low bandwidth of my current Internet connection
(approx. 46 Kbps over landline telephone dial-up modem).

My survivalist approach to using current browsers (FF and Comodo Dragon)
is to start the desired page (or maybe two or three pages, max.)
occasionally to see if the page(s) has(ve) finished loading the vast
quantities of: useless eye-candy "rich" content, unwanted adware, great
gobs of JavaScript crud, a zillion videos I don't care to see, etc.,
etc.

* * *
* * *

It seems to me that the clue in Dee's pronouncement that I quoted, is to
take back control of the page load / display experience from the
PROVIDER of the page (often an arrogant rich titanic-scale oligarchic
zillionaire e.g amazon, google) , and give that control back to the
CONSUMER of the page.

To my way of thinking, regaining browsing control and freedom, begins
with getting rid of the idea that the web browser is a monolithic opaque
black box that LOADS AND RENDERS A COMPLETE WEB PAGE AT A TIME.
Currently, the browser user is faced with an all-or-nothing choice.
Either start a page loading and wait until the browser has finished

I know that browsers do begin to render and display a page in parts,
before it has all been loaded and rendered internally by the browser.
But the designer of the browser controls the order of this progressive
rendering. And the order doesn't usually seem very helpful to me.

* * *
* * *

If we take Dee's idea: "it is time that browsers were split into parts
that do separate things, and things that could be managed by the USERS"
as a guiding principle, what can a browser developer do, to give more
control and power back to the user of the browser, and prevent the
provider of th page from dominating the page view esperience ??

WHAT I WOULD LIKE, IS TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE WEB BROWSER AT THE LEVEL
OF INDIVIDUAL ELEMENTS OF HTML ITSELF. I WOULD LIKE THE BROWSER START A
PAGE LOAD, BY PRESENTING TO ME, A COMPACT AND EASILY-NAVIGABLE
TREE-STRUCTURED LARGELY TEXTUAL REPRESENTATION OF THE WEB PAGE'S HTML
STRUCTURE.

Then, I can scroll around to inspect all that nicely formatted and
coloured HTML textual rep, pick the parts of the page that I think would
be worthwhile actually loading and rendering, and set the browser
graphic elemesnts that might seem interesting to me, And I can see still
shots from a huge video / movie, without loading/ playing the whole
thing. And I can hear sample audio clips.

An even more advanced p'n'c browser, could synthesize "subversive"
versions of the original web page, guided by the browser user, The
"subversive": page would load the valuable nuggets, and leave behind
untouched all the useless intrusive BS that the tech titans like to
think is twisting our souls into consumerist puppets.

A "subversive" p'n'c-generated web page, would be like the grumpy nasty
bitchy smelly customer with the bulging shopping buggy, who barges up to
the counter of the fast food outlet, and demands an X-large Diet Coke
WITH NO ICE. In other words, I will take the good stuff ONLY, and leave
all the BS to the next (and more conformist / compliant / wimpsterist)
customer.

* * *
* * *

No doubt, the "dream" of a navigable tree-structured pick'n'choose
(p'n'c) list rep of an HTML page would be complicated to implement.

And it would need to provide plernty of of hints and help so naive users
would be able to understand the HTML in simplistic terms.

Some regexp-driven highlighting could help the user in their
pick'n'choose navigation, too. And the p'n'c browser would come
pre-loaded with regexps that isolate and exclude lots of recognizeable
adware / snoopware crap and junk. Google and Amazon, etc. will
ABSOLUTELY LOATHE the p'n'c browser and that will be a VERY GOOD THING
:)

* * *
* * *

There are text-mode web browsers out there that actually have no GUI,
they work at a command line prompt. But I decided I couldn't use them
because: either they offer no Win XP-compatible version, or they are not
up to date with current HTML technology.

But no doubt, most of the basic building blocks of a p'n'c browser are
already available in open source libraries. So, the task of building the
p'n'c browser would be more of an integration challenge than a
greenfield coding challenge.

An interesting axample of the kind of technololgy that could be
harnessed in a p'n'c browser, crossed my eyes today:
===
Headless Chrome and the Puppeteer Library for Scraping and Testing the
Web   Wednesday 29 November
http://www.i-programmer.info/news/87/11344.html

With the advent of Single Page Applications, scraping pages for
information as well as running automated user interaction tests has
become much harder due to its highly dynamic nature. The solution?
Headless Chrome and the Puppeteer library.
There's just one caveat. Since CDP only works with Chromium, Chrome and
other Blink-based browsers, so does Puppeteer. If you require more than
that, then sticking to Selenium and its WebDriver API still remains the
best option..
===

The Selenium WebDriver API might be a useful code base to be considered,
in the design of the p'n'c "subversive incremental load" browser ...

My 2 cents worth.

>>> Thanking you for your input!
>>>

>>> Dee

---