[GTALUG] Dinner in the usual place?

David Collier-Brown davecb.42 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 13:16:11 EST 2017

On 13/12/17 12:49 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> | Way too many competing channels!
>
> Yes.  It fragments the community.
>
> As an old person, I depend on email.
>
> I'm not going to join telegram for one event per month.
>
> I'm on IRC but not GTALUG's channel.
>
> It used to be the definition of TLUG membership was being on this
> mailing list!

Back when email was shiny and new, we did a lot of work to keep it from
becoming a walled garden, and interoperating with all.  I wrote the
Honeywell GCOS SMTP server to avoid a walled garden.

Microsoft, on the other hand, tried it's best to prevent internet mail
from making it into MS customers.Alas, the latter is also true of many
of the other web-based notification systems.

IMHO, if they don't interwork, they don't work, and will go the same way
the old Microsoft, Vines, Netware and other restricted mail systems did

--dave