[GTALUG] Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 22:51:04 EST 2017

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 6:31 PM, Clifford Ilkay via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 8:22 AM, o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>> wrote:

>>> are using HTML as the interface.
>>> So you will find yourself with pages(tabs) open in your browser instead
>>> of applications open on your desktop.
>>> Typically I run 20 tabs to keep applications I frequently use open and
>>> add on to that things I am working on ... now you have lots of little tabs.
>>>
>>> What I find as a bit nuance is when something crashes your browser it
>>> takes down all your open pages and your getting as much or as little as the
>>> restore on start up gives you.
>>>
>>> It would be nice to have the ability to run multiple browsers that are
>>> independent of each other on the same desktop as the same user but Chrome
>>> and Firefox keep their context on a per user basis.
>>>
>>> I am sure there is some way to get around this but I have not yet been
>>> sufficiently aggravated to figure out the magical incantation.
>>>

>> It sounds like I'm not the only one who has issues with browsers - - -
>> thank you!
>>
>> Perhaps it is time that browsers were split into parts that do separate
>> things,
>> and things that could be managed by the USERS of those browsers rather
>> than by the advertising  (I'll use the word people although I would much
>> rather
>> not include them as such) people that think they do own my desktop.
>>
>> If the browser coders were actually listening to their users this would
>> have
>> already been happening!
>>

> Most people do not have hundreds of tabs open. If I were leading the team
> developing Firefox, I would only investigate that issue to determine if
> it's a symptom of some bug that doesn't manifest itself unless the system
> is stressed like that or merely a resource exhaustion issue. If it's the
> latter, I would make it a low priority and concentrate on the higher
> priority issues. If I were inclined to investigate this issue, I'd want to
> know lots of details about the hardware environment in which the browser is
> running, the sites that are open, which extensions are installed, and I
> would not even bother listening to a user who hasn't cleared their cache
> completely and tried running with no extensions. There are simply too many
> variables there to point the finger at the browser implementation before
> looking at more likely scenarios. For instance, you have not mentioned how
> much RAM you have. I also tend to have many tabs open and I have 16GB of
> RAM on my desktop machine. I'll notice that Chrome will often chew up the
> majority of that RAM and the machine will start swapping. When that
> happens, things will slow to a crawl and I'll just restart the entire
> machine just to clean things up. I don't blame the browser for that. If
> [...]

OK - - - you think 16 GB of ram is lots. Sorry - - - there's quite a bit
more in this box.
I have the hardware to run any kind of serious software.
That's why I'm peeved at wimpy software.

One thing I find fascinating is that the issues that I've tried to
communicate to the dev team are usually ignored or pooh poohed, like here.
When you stress software the cracks start to show. What I would like to
communicate, but am failing, is that what I'm trying to do should be
possible - - - that it isn't indicates a need for changes in the software.

But of course - - - what do I know about programming?
(Not much - - - but I can show you what works and what DOESN'T work for me!)

Dee