[GTALUG] Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 08:22:47 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 7:32 AM, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 12/11/2017 12:29 AM, Stewart C. Russell via talk wrote:
>
>> On 2017-12-10 09:50 PM, o1bigtenor via talk wrote:
>>
>>> 1. You need to set up at least 10 windows in FF.
>>> 2. You need to find some kind of topics so that you have ranging from
>>> say 5 to 35 tabs open on EACH of those windows.
>>>
>> I'm feeling some déjà vu here: wasn't it suggested a few months ago that
>> 50–350 pages open at the same time is way beyond what a general-purpose
>> web browser might be expected to display? Each one of those pages can be
>> executing arbitrary code of unknown size. Maybe I'm a web protozoan, but
>> the findability of tabs drops massively when I've got more than a few in
>> even a single window.
>>
>> FF57 is much cleaner than before, and is at least as fast as Chrome. You
>> can quit FF, then have it restart with all your windows and tabs open.
>> The clever part is, it'll only render that tab when it gets focus, so
>> you could have hundreds of tabs open yet only a few loaded. So while I'm
>> pretty sure it won't fit your needs of an entire Starbucks-load of pages
>> in the one browser, it might get a little closer than FF <57.
>>

>> The trouble is that more and more services, systems and applications are
> using HTML as the interface.
> So you will find yourself with pages(tabs) open in your browser instead of
> applications open on your desktop.
> Typically I run 20 tabs to keep applications I frequently use open and add
> on to that things I am working on ... now you have lots of little tabs.
>
> What I find as a bit nuance is when something crashes your browser it
> takes down all your open pages and your getting as much or as little as the
> restore on start up gives you.
>
> It would be nice to have the ability to run multiple browsers that are
> independent of each other on the same desktop as the same user but Chrome
> and Firefox keep their context on a per user basis.
>
> I am sure there is some way to get around this but I have not yet been
> sufficiently aggravated to figure out the magical incantation.

It sounds like I'm not the only one who has issues with browsers - - -
thank you!

Perhaps it is time that browsers were split into parts that do separate
things,
and things that could be managed by the USERS of those browsers rather
than by the advertising  (I'll use the word people although I would much
rather
not include them as such) people that think they do own my desktop.

If the browser coders were actually listening to their users this would
have
already been happening!

Thanking you for your input!

Dee