[GTALUG] Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 05:15:44 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 1:24 AM, William Park via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 06:27:43PM -0500, Clifford Ilkay via talk wrote:
> > William, I highly recommend you read up on Dart and Flutter before
> > committing to Swift and Kotlin. Dart is pretty easy to learn for anyone
> > with experience in curly brace languages. Here is a quick overview video
> of
> > Flutter you may find useful. <https://youtu.be/sLY-vgE-mq0> I've been
> > keeping an eye on Flutter's gitter channel <
> > https://gitter.im/flutter/flutter> and I notice that it's quite active
> and
> > the people there are helpful to and welcoming of newbies. That's key to
> > adoption.
>
> OK, their documentation starts at
>     <https://www.dartlang.org/guides/get-started>
> In particular, "A Tour of the Dart Language"
>     <https://www.dartlang.org/guides/language/language-tour>
> is what newbies needs.
>
> Is there PDF version of that?  Honestly, I can't read and study from
> monitor anymore.

There is a language spec in PDF form here: <
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-408.pdf>.
The docs you referenced are available as Markdown on GitHub here: <
https://github.com/dart-lang/site-www>. It looks like they used Jekyll to
create the docs so you could try Jekyll PDF <
https://github.com/abeMedia/jekyll-pdf> to convert pages one at a time.
With a bit of scripting, you could crawl the entire site and convert each
page to PDF.

By the way, searching for "Flutter documentation PDF" led me to an
interesting slide deck PDF here: <
https://droidcon.de/sites/global.droidcon.cod.newthinking.net/files/media/documents/Flutter%20-%2060FPS%20UI%20of%20the%20future%20%20-%20DroidconDE%2017.pdf
>.
Regards,