[GTALUG] Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:50:26 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 6:15 PM, Jamon Camisso via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> On 2017-12-10 06:13 PM, o1bigtenor wrote:
> >> I think you'll be surprised at how well the latest Firefox 57 performs.
> >> It's their first release featuring core browser components written in
> Rust.
> >>
> >> Fast and stable for me. Give it a try and see if your characterization
> >> above still holds.
> >>

> > Somehow - - - - I've been hearing similar for about what - - - maybe
> about
> > 4 or 5
> > years. You really think its true this time? (After watching maybe 20+
> > upgrades and
> > its still the same mess for how it works - - - I'm more than a little
> > skeptical!)
>
> https://blog.rust-lang.org/2017/11/14/Fearless-Concurrency-In-Firefox-
> Quantum.html
> is a good write up on how rust is used in Firefox's newest release (57).
> It is a completely new CSS engine written in Rust that runs within the
> browser itself.
>
> From my reading, rust enabled the FF devs to parallelize CSS rendering
> across CPU cores relatively easily with thread safety, meaning faster
> page rendering and fewer crashes or lock ups for you and me.
>
> It also sounds like this is just the beginning of rust in Firefox, and I
> for one look forward to seeing other components of the browser running
> rust for the performance and stability it promises.
>
> Somehow - - - with quite a few years of promises saying exactly what they
are
saying this time - - - I am not convinced that its any better than the last
times
they said the same things.

If you are convinced that it is total wonderful I would ask that you
experiment on
YOUR system.

1. You need to set up at least 10 windows in FF.
2. You need to find some kind of topics so that you have ranging from say 5
     35 tabs open on EACH of those windows.
3. You will need to be using at least 20% of those tabs at least multiple
times a
    day and 60% of them over 5 days.

The tabs can be somewhat related in content but To compare to what I'm
doing
you need to be in at least 4 or 5 significantly different areas of though.

Let me know how well things are going in about a week - - - I'm assuming
that
you will be doing speed tests using TestMy.net html5 speed tests at least
2 or 3 x per day so that any change can be observed.

If your test shows that there is less than a 5% slowdown I will accept that
the new version works as they are promising - - - any more than about 7%
speed change or ANY need for killall - - - its the same stuff - - - all
powder
and fluff and precious little substance!

Regards

Dee