[GTALUG] Laptop (very) weirdness

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Dec 10 19:26:03 EST 2017

My dual-boot  Asus laptop now exhibits very strange behaviour.

Under Windows 10 all is normal (well, its form of normal).

Under Linux (current mint KDE)  at work, all seems ok.

At home, all hell breaks loose. The only difference is the wifi.

After a normal login not only does networking not come up but the KDE menu
bar doesn't display upon startup, all I have is the KDE wallpaper and a
working xterm. Simple commands work but 'sudo bash' hangs.

If I try to shutdown the system hangs. ALT-F1 gives me some kind of massive
dump starting with the lines:

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at 000000000000011c
IP iul_num_add_sta+0x49e/0x720 [iwlmvm]

Can anyone make sense of why simply using a different wifi router would
cause this? An inability to connect is one thing, but this is nuts.

(And people ask me why I hesitate to recommend desktop Linux to
non-techies...)

Happy to bring it in to Tuesday's meeting if anyone can help...

- Evan (on mobile)