[GTALUG] Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

Clifford Ilkay cilkay at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 18:27:43 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 1:06 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> The "grain" of iOS seems to favour Swift (at least in the future).
> The grain of Android favours Java.  Clifford's quick survey of systems
> for writing for both both platforms at once seems the most useful
> contribution.  But I suspect that it is too far off the ground for
> William.

If by "too far off the ground" you mean too high a level of abstraction,
that implies some compromise like poor look and feel or poor performance.
The Flutter dev team considers anything less than native look and feel and
native performance a bug. Flutter apps can achieve the same frame rates as
apps written in Swift or Kotlin because of the approach they have taken to
abstraction. While other cross-platform frameworks rely on a JavaScript to
native bridge, which causes a big performance hit every time that bridge
has to be crossed, Flutter does not. This article provides a good overview
of what makes Flutter interesting and how Flutter abstracts the underlying
platform. <
https://hackernoon.com/whats-revolutionary-about-flutter-946915b09514> The
links to other sites in the first paragraph are worth reading, too.

William, I highly recommend you read up on Dart and Flutter before
committing to Swift and Kotlin. Dart is pretty easy to learn for anyone
with experience in curly brace languages. Here is a quick overview video of
Flutter you may find useful. <https://youtu.be/sLY-vgE-mq0> I've been
keeping an eye on Flutter's gitter channel <
https://gitter.im/flutter/flutter> and I notice that it's quite active and
the people there are helpful to and welcoming of newbies. That's key to
adoption.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+1 647-778-8696 <(647)%20778-8696>