[GTALUG] Programming languages (in comparison?) - -was Learn Swift for Apple/iOS. Learn ??? for Google/Android.

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 18:27:35 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> | From: o1bigtenor via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
>
> | On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 12:06 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk <
> | talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
> | > I spend most of my programming time in C.  The next language I intend
> | > to use is Rust.  I like its ideas but proof of the pudding is in the
> | > eating.  The cases where I would recommend C for new projects are few
> | > and far between.
> | >

> | So I know precious little about programming languages. I looked up 'Rust
> | programming language'.
> |
> | Wikipedia (which can often be useful if not always totally accurate)
>
> If it isn't accurate, it is your fault.  Fix it.  That's what I do.

OK - - - I'll consider it - - - I've found people don't like things
corrected much.
Most often they like things the way they want them.

> | listed it as:
>

> |  " . . . a systems programming language sponsored by Mozilla Research,
> | which describes it as a "safe, concurrent, practical language,"
> supporting
> | functional and imperative-procedural paradigms. Rust is syntactically
> | similar to C++, but its designers intend it to provide better memory
> safety
> | while maintaining performance."
> |
> | OK - - - sponsored by Mozilla (AIUI that sort means that its their baby)
>
> It was started by Graydon Hoare (ex Torontonian) while at Mozilla.
> Mozilla sponsored it but many contributors are now from outside.  It
> really seems to be an open project.  And one with a lot of momentum.

OK but Mozilla IS listed as a big time user at the very least.

> | and its to '. . . provide better memory safety . . ." .
> | Well given how Mozilla products work for me - - - they don't really know
> | anything about how to use memory.
>
> Those two are mostly unrelated.  Memory safety is mostly about
> avoiding bugs.  Of course memory leaks, a kind of bug, can lead to
> excessive memory use.
>
> | The only way I can keep using FF is to
> | kill it every couple three days and then restart it.
>
> Firefox's behaviour is OK for me.  Not perfect.  But some web pages
> seem to suck up a lot of resources.

I don't like a program that requires me to kill it every couple days so
that
I can keep using it.

> For example, my normal way of reading Ars Technica ceased to work in
> the last few months:  from the front page, middle-click on each
> apparently interesting link (opening it in a new tab) and then go back
> and read each tab.
>
> I've never run Flash on my desktop.  That has saved me from a lot of
> crud.  But now the crud is apparently migrating to javascript or
> HTML5.

I had flash before html5 became somewhat 'normal' and never since.

> For some reason, javascript crap seems to be a global burden.  It
> would make sense to suspend the crap of a page when it isn't visible
> (perhaps I'm naive).

I have a contact that doesn't allow any javascript - - - I'm starting to
wonder if that might be quite preferable to the bs that the web is
becoming.

> I don't suppress ads.  I don't think that's fair.  But I do have
> "tracking protection" on.  Some sites claim that I'm blocking ads.

I became anti ads after I spent about 20 hours of time looking for a
specific
product. I knew it was available as I had seen equivalents on equipment
in Europe and know that there are North American equivalents. Couldn't
find a bleepin' thing - - - and that was frustrating. What made it even
worse
was ms google insisting for the next number of weeks that she had to bomb
me with ads for somewhat related but NOT applicable product. End result was
that I found a different search engine and try to actively discourage ads.
Most
of the ads I get bombed by I'm totally uninteresed in and as the
advertisers
try to get me to be similar product find that similar isn't good enough
when one
is looking for specific technical stuff I think that 99% of all advertising
isn't
worth flushing down the toilet. The money wasted on that could feed all the
hungry
in the world and likely provide for justice for most of the oppressed too.

But advertising is how our friends (??) at google and that kind of gang and
over at the amazonian world its about the same.
The adge that advertising is 'there to get you to buy stuff you don't want
impress people you couldn't care less about with money you don't have'
seems like it should be promulgated just a wee bit more.
But sorry - - - I have digressed largely from the original flow.
I think its the advertising that makes today's web a total pos!

> rant off

Dee