[GTALUG] IBM Mainframe and z/OS

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Sat Dec 9 14:30:10 EST 2017

On 12/09/2017 01:23 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> (The 026 was introduced in 1949.  The 029 was introduced in 1964, along
> with EBCDIC and the IBM/360.  You can imagine how much nicer the 029 was.
> But neither had a backspace key.  Or lower case letters.)

Many years ago, I worked on the CN Rail "TRACS" system.  This was used
to keep track of all the cars in a freight train.  The system had a
Datapoint 2200ยน terminal with 2 cassette recorders, a local printer,
card punch & reader and serial lines to remote sites and also the IBM
main frame in Montreal.  This terminal used ASCII internally as well as
for the local printer, Hollerith to the card punch/reader, Baudot to the
remote sites and EBCDIC to Montreal.

1) The Datapoint 2200 was the intended target for the Intel 8008 CPU,
but went with a customer built CPU board, as the 8008 was too slow.
However, it had the same instruction set as the 8008.  We even had a
BASIC interpreter for it.  ;-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datapoint_2200