[GTALUG] IBM Mainframe and z/OS

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Dec 4 10:27:38 EST 2017

On Sun, Dec 03, 2017 at 11:00:03PM -0500, James Knott via talk wrote:
> Well, IBM systems run SUSE, if I'm not mistaken.  You could start there
> for the software side.  IIRC, IBM mainframes these days are simply
> massively multi-CPU., running Linux.  I have a cousin, a nuclear
> physicist, who works with the big systems and I get the impression from
> him that it's largely the same as running a personal computer.  I have
> no idea about Websphere zOS or CICS though.  What does UoT have for big
> iron?  I recall when I was at Ryerson, back in the '80s, they had an IBM
> mainframe.

No, they run zOS, and then in VMs you can run RHEL or SLES (or debian)
if you want or one of the many other OSs that exist for it, or an
emulator for a previous generation with whatever OS you want for that
in the emulator going back to system/360 if you want.  Not sure how many
layers of emulation that would take, but it can be done.

--
Len Sorensen