[GTALUG] colour management

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 11:45:17 EDT 2017

(subject changed from "Re: [GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem")

On 2017-08-25 03:49 PM, Russell via talk wrote:

> My biggest nice to have feature would be a comprehensive source of ICC lookup tables for linux.

If you're meaning for scanners, generic manufacturer ones are kind of
useless. Light sources age and shift, and so your generic calibration
becomes less and less useful. If you have to have one of these files,
dig about in the Windows or Mac driver package, as there's usually one
there.

With an ICC target — Wolf Faust sells cheap but good ones from
http://www.targets.coloraid.de/ — it's easy to calibrate a scanner. I've
always meant to

a.) do a lightning talk on colour management;

b.) arrange a group buy of scanner targets. Wolf sells them *very* cheap
if you're shipping more than one.

I have a spare (stored in the dark, unused, technically expired but good
enough) ITU target if anyone wants one. Wolf makes targets for the big
repro companies, so his stuff is good. He's also been writing printer
drivers since the early 1990s.

You might also be surprised at what's living in /usr/share/color/icc
already …

> I wouldn't have to stop cups to be able to scan with my MFU.

Is your AIO networked, or connected via USB? cups tends to hog the whole
device over USB. xsane finds my networked Epson, but annoyingly all
drivers (perhaps the hardware itself) can only scan at 8 bpp.

 Stewart