[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:49:26 EDT 2017

On August 25, 2017 11:38:11 AM EDT, Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> LOL Evan, I've been waiting for your follow-up. You had to know that
>your
>> comment would solicit replies.
>>

>​As many TLUGers know I've been following the issue for a long time, at
>one
>point being the ZDNet writer on open source for more than 100 columns.
>I heard a crapload about the frustrations of people -- non-technical
>people. who didn't want to hear about downloading firmwares and
>​relinking
>kernels.
>
>The original mail reflected the fact that personally, I continue to
>find
>networking more difficult to use on Linux desktops than on Windows or
>Macs.
>Why, for instance, should the end-user be expected to know what kind of
>wifi authentication protocol is in use? Who cares? Win and Mac just try
>them all till one works, assuming the credentials are right.
>
>Oh well, at least it's not as bad as the sound configuration. And Linux
>always had windowing and multitasking right.
>
>In any case, the point is moot. It is fully irrelevant whether or not
>Linux
>ever does better on the PC desktop than it has. Linux dominates on
>mobile
>and server and has become more than mainstream. Now Microsoft is the
>one
>struggling for compatibility, and the Unix wars are long behind us
>(notwithstanding what has evolved into a friendly niche rivalry with
>BSD).
>
>​But I swear.... if Android phones had​ required PulseAudio, we'd all
>still
>be using Symbian.

Ouuucch, thats gotta hurt. But be careful what you wish for.

Remember when the mantra was "Linux World Domination" Then it happened. Now, as far as init goes, it seem there are those with the  Lennartware sucks mantra. No kidding,  I read that in an answer on Quora.

I'm not particularly in any one camp but, its kind of hard to think that someone building a sound server, wouldn't understand at the time; you don't turn on the power amp until the mixer pre-amp is powered up and the gain is at 0.

In practice you don't just run the amp with no load, just as you don't power up the mixer with the onboard pre-amp output on.

Thats also an historical issue now addressed apparently. I still use a toolbar button to quick mute.

amixer sset Master toggle

My biggest nice to have feature would be a comprehensive source of ICC lookup tables for linux.

I wouldn't have to stop cups to be able to scan with my MFU.

Darnd thing throws off paper feed errors and although I've never used it with windows and based on some reports I've read, I've got a feeling that the ink tank contents data, which changes quite a bit, looks like an unrecognizable colour profile to xsane, instead of a scanner.

Just a hunch tho.

--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail