[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Aug 25 13:07:26 EDT 2017

On 25 August 2017 at 12:27, Stewart C. Russell via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Is that latest-latest Raspbian, as in Raspbian Stretch released last
> ​ ​
> week? It has some known networking issues that the Raspbian devs have
> ​ ​
> been a bit coy about addressing.

​That's the one, and thanks for the heads-up.​

> The Foundation's current official response is along the lines of "It
> ​ ​
> works if you set it up with keyboard and monitor", but if you're doing a
> ​ ​
> headless setup, that doesn't help.

​... and headless is the intended use.​

What worked for me was ensuring that
> wpa-supplicant.conf had the following lines at the top, even if you're
> working on the skeleton version copied from /boot
>
>         country=CA
>         ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
>         update_config=1

​
Was all there, exactly like that.​ But iwconfig and other tools didn't even
indicate that the install got as far as the WPA setup.

Like all Raspberry Pi things, don't follow web advice more than a year
> ​ ​
> old.

​I suspected as much. Many sites were giving really complex rebuilding
steps for a driver that's supposedly already there.​ Unfortunately the most
recent forum stuff that I could on this is from 2015.

Working with anything other than Realtek USB wifi on a
> ​ ​
> Raspberry Pi can be a crapshoot at the best of times.

​
I'm seeing that the more I read. Considering the low cost of entry
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Speed-Realtek-RTL8188cus-USB-150M-150Mbps-n-Wireless-WiFi-adapter-Card-PC/232080390093>​
I think it's just the path of least resistance to switch to that.

One last thing. I'm using a 2A USB power supply for the Pi B; I hope that's
enough. Some previous forum advice suggests that some dongles need a
separate powered USB hub which I don't have.

Thanks, Stewart and Russell, for the help.

- Evan