[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 12:27:02 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-23 06:11 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:

> I have a RPi Model B running current Raspian, and a wifi dongle that
> claims to run on it.

Is that latest-latest Raspbian, as in Raspbian Stretch released last
week? It has some known networking issues that the Raspbian devs have
been a bit coy about addressing.

The Foundation's current official response is along the lines of "It
works if you set it up with keyboard and monitor", but if you're doing a
headless setup, that doesn't help. What worked for me was ensuring that
wpa-supplicant.conf had the following lines at the top, even if you're
working on the skeleton version copied from /boot

	country=CA
	ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
	update_config=1

Like all Raspberry Pi things, don't follow web advice more than a year
old. With the change to systemd and the huge changes in the firmware,
almost everything that was received wisdom is now useless or actively
harmful. Working with anything other than Realtek USB wifi on a
Raspberry Pi can be a crapshoot at the best of times.

Best source of support is, as ever,
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/index.php

cheers,
 Stewart