[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Fri Aug 25 11:38:11 EDT 2017

> LOL Evan, I've been waiting for your follow-up. You had to know that your
> comment would solicit replies.

​As many TLUGers know I've been following the issue for a long time, at one
point being the ZDNet writer on open source for more than 100 columns.
I heard a crapload about the frustrations of people -- non-technical
people. who didn't want to hear about downloading firmwares and ​relinking
kernels.

The original mail reflected the fact that personally, I continue to find
networking more difficult to use on Linux desktops than on Windows or Macs.
Why, for instance, should the end-user be expected to know what kind of
wifi authentication protocol is in use? Who cares? Win and Mac just try
them all till one works, assuming the credentials are right.

Oh well, at least it's not as bad as the sound configuration. And Linux
always had windowing and multitasking right.

In any case, the point is moot. It is fully irrelevant whether or not Linux
ever does better on the PC desktop than it has. Linux dominates on mobile
and server and has become more than mainstream. Now Microsoft is the one
struggling for compatibility, and the Unix wars are long behind us
(notwithstanding what has evolved into a friendly niche rivalry with BSD).

​But I swear.... if Android phones had​ required PulseAudio, we'd all still
be using Symbian.

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto, Canada