[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 10:31:11 EDT 2017

On August 25, 2017 5:07:48 AM EDT, Evan Leibovitch <evan at telly.org> wrote:
>Sheesh.
>
>Six replies, and only on actually relevant to the question asked.
>
>Thanks, Russell. I'd seen that page.
>It indicates that the MT7601U driver is already in the kernel after
>kernel
>4.2.
>I see it there, it shows up what I run `lsmod`.
>
>But I still can't get it running.
>
>Under `usb-devices` I have
>
>T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
>D:  Ver= 2.01 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
>P:  Vendor=148f ProdID=7601 Rev=00.00
>S:  Manufacturer=MediaTek
>S:  Product=802.11 n WLAN
>S:  SerialNumber=1.0
>C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=160mA
>I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 8 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
>
>So I have the kernel module loaded, and the hardware recognized, but
>the
>system isn't matching the device to this driver.
>
>Any suggestions?

Got the firmware in the right location?

/lib/firmware/MT7601u.binĀ

This guy got it working, albeit without WEP

https://github.com/Yackou/nixie-radio/wiki/mt7601u-compilation

>Do I go back to the old pre-4.2 driver? Would it react differently to
>the
>current one?

Might have to go back. Although I did read that this particular firmware is missing from linux-firmware and that simply putting the blob in the right place fixed it for some Ubuntu distros. The post I saw had your device listed as working out of the box on Ubuntu 15 and some instructions for patching earlier releases.

Apparently this is a popular problem.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/1090

Usb hotplugging of a NIC, its kind of a funny concept. Trusted networks don't necessarily like that kind of quick change artistry. IMO usb has a shifty history of tracking and managing a hid Endpoint (device) to endpoints (buffers)

Pi boards with different revisions, plus throw in systemd targets to boot and your looking at a clusterfork about to happen. The general tone is its not worth the time because better dongles are out there.

You could see what wpa_supplicant shows

systemctl status wpa_supplicant.service -l

Or post the output of uname -a and ps xawf -eo pid,user,cgroups,args for the bigger picture.

I'd bet on the firmware blob tho. Thats an issue with a lot of history in Linux and it does look like there is a working one out there.

Hope this helps.

> [...]

>On 23 August 2017 at 18:31, Russell Reiter <rreiter91 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 6:11 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk
><talk at gtalug.org>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > Making networking run on Linux desktops has always been IMO one of
>the
>> > reasons why it's not caught on. Stuff just shouldn't be this hard.
>> >
>> > I have a RPi Model B running current Raspian, and a wifi dongle
>that
>> claims
>> > to run on it.
>>
>> These instructions might help. Some driver updates from 2015 and
>source
>> links.
>>

>https://groenholdt.net/Computers/RaspberryPi/MediaTek-MT7601-USB-WIFI-on-
>> the-Raspberry-Pi/MediaTek-MT7601-USB-WIFI-on-the-Raspberry-Pi.html
>>

>> > `lsusb` reports it as
>> > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U
>> Wireless
>> > Adapter
>> >
>> > and `usb-devices` says:
>> > T: Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 4 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
>> > D: Ver= 2.01 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
>> > P: Vendor=148f ProdID=7601 Rev=00.00
>> > S: Manufacturer=MediaTek
>> > S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
>> > S: SerialNumber=1.0
>> > C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=160mA
>> > I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 8 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
>> >
>> > Now... even though it says "Driver=(none)" on that last line,
>`lsmod`
>> > reports:
>> > Module Size Used by
>> > [...]
>> > mt7601u 86636 0
>> > mac80211 650707 1 mt7601u
>> > cfg80211 525998 2 mac80211,mt7601u
>> > [...]
>> > snd_hwdep 6479 1 snd_usb_audio
>> > videodev 177702 3 uvcvideo,videobuf2_core,videobuf2_v4l2
>> > snd_usbmidi_lib 22479 1 snd_usb_audio
>> > snd_rawmidi 23727 1 snd_usbmidi_lib
>> > media 28994 2 uvcvideo,videodev
>> > rfkill 21373 2 cfg80211
>> > snd_seq_device 5266 1 snd_rawmidi
>> > snd_bcm2835 23131 0
>> > snd_pcm 97825 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_bcm2835
>> > snd_timer 22706 1 snd_pcm
>> > snd 68784 8
>> > snd_hwdep,snd_usb_audio,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_usbmidi_
>> lib,snd_seq_device,snd_bcm2835,snd_pcm
>> > bcm2835_gpiomem 3791 0
>> > uio_pdrv_genirq 3718 0
>> > uio 10166 1 uio_pdrv_genirq
>> > fixed 3029 0
>> > ip_tables 12512 0
>> > x_tables 20921 1 ip_tables
>> > ipv6 384391 18
>> >
>> > So there is a module called mt7201u being loaded yet it's not seen
>as the
>> > associated driver to this card in usb-devices and it's definitely
>not
>> > showing in ifconfig or iwconfig.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions on what I'm missing is greatly appreciated.

Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail