[GTALUG] Raspberry PI wifi problem

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Wed Aug 23 19:04:41 EDT 2017

On 2017-08-23 06:11 PM, Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Making networking run on Linux desktops has always been IMO one of the
> reasons why it's not caught on. Stuff just shouldn't be this hard.

This is a red herring. The reason why Linux desktops have not caught on
has nothing to do with the technical merits, or lack thereof. It's
entirely a business decision. Microsoft and various hardware
manufacturers, like Dell, have developed a vast ecosystem of VARs and
other support resources. There are great financial incentives for I.T.
support firms to promote the Windows ecosystem. There is no counterpart
to Microsoft in the Linux world so there are no financial incentives for
anyone to push Linux on the desktop. Microsoft and Dell cultivate
relationships with VARs and funnel business their way. Who does that in
the Linux world? No one. Which large and influential organization
promotes Linux on desktops? No one.

If ease of installation has something to do with desktop adoption,
Windows would have been displaced long ago. Microsoft has a tremendous
advantage in the market because of the OEM relationships it has with
hardware vendors. Most people have no idea how difficult or easy Windows
is to install because they never have to do it. It comes pre-loaded on
their computer. In corporate environments, there are many tools designed
to make the mass deployment and management of Windows desktops
relatively pain-free so the complexity of Windows installation and
configuration is, again, hidden from people.

--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay

+ 1 647-778-8696