[GTALUG] Spam is basically dead

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 20:48:14 EDT 2017

On 17 August 2017 at 19:30, David Collier-Brown via talk <talk at gtalug.org>
wrote:

> Spamcop.net should not be compared to the extortionist sites, nor the
> email vendors. It's honest, and living on a shoestring.

On a shoestring? They're part of Cisco. They run an RBL, so they can still
block shared servers. I still put them on the evil side.

> And note that it's the _corporate email providers_ who charge money to
> anyone who gets reported for spamming: that's why I used that particular
> example.

The RBL that blocked my former employer asked for money to get a faster
resolution. That's extortion. And there's a precedent for considering RBLs
tortous interference: Spamhaus vs E360, which from reading Wikipedia and
Spamhaus's own coverage, you'd think Spamhaus won. They lost: the $3
symbolic damages remained.

 Stewart