[GTALUG] Spam is basically dead

Stewart Russell scruss at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 18:40:55 EDT 2017

On 17 August 2017 at 12:54, David Collier-Brown <davec-b at rogers.com> wrote:

> If they don't voluntarily agree to stop emailing me, I drop them into
> spamcop form below:
>
> ^u^a^c... ^p and they get their corporate email provider flagged as a
> spammer.
>
> This usually gets them told there will be a fine from the provider every
> time they get blacklisted and have to appeal to be unlisted.  That
> motivates them wonderfully (;-))

Please think twice before doing this. Spamcop, Spamhaus and the rest are
little better than extortionists. If you have the unlucky coincidence to be
on shared mail hosting with a blacklisted site, *your* mail can be
blacklisted too. Tortuous interference can get very ugly (read $$$) in the
courts.

I had this happen at a former employer. We lost sales and communications
for two days. The owner got in a foul mood, and I'm sure the last words of
any well-intentioned but naive sysadmin that got within stabbing distance
would have been: "We need our own mailserv...aaaargh!"

cheers,
 Stewart