[GTALUG] Spam is basically dead

ac ac at main.me
Thu Aug 17 02:33:19 EDT 2017

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 11:16:27 -0400
Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> On 16 August 2017 at 09:09, Stewart C. Russell via talk
> <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> > On 2017-08-16 08:10 AM, ac via talk wrote:
> > > Six Golden Rules: ** Spam is basically dead... **
> > … if you run your own mailserver. This list's members are not
> > representative of the general population.
>
> Agreed. But ​I'd take it from a slightly different perspective that
> splits the issue.
>
> IMO the volume of spam has not abated, but its effectiveness has.
>
> I use gMail for a significant amount of my incoming mail, and it
> implements a pretty aggressive spam filter. There are almost no false
> positives getting through these days, but I do have to go into the
> spam mailbox every few weeks to check for false negatives (maybe a

<snip>

Agree 100% - but my point is that you do not have to use Gmail.com any
longer to not get spam (in fact, gmail.com is listed on sorbs and many
rbls as they are not always responsive to the spam Google itself - sends!

Anyone can now "not get spam" -- if you follow the six rules I posted,
you could setup a "marking" score, lets say 6/10 and then you can also
(easily) have a "spambox" where your "false positives" go...

So, anyone can have better quality email than Gmail/Google

I too have a gmail account, it does get spam.

My own personal email account does not get any spam, as in nothing...
in my personal email account spambox, I do find the occasional ham, and
then I simply help/advise my friend/sender to just get better quality
hosting -- my friend/sender usually does as I also show them how
pathetic and crappy their present hosting company is...( - voting with
your wallet is the ultimate spam stopper...)

Anyway, point is: Anyone can choose to have top quality email service -
just follow the six golden rules :)

Andre