[GTALUG] Spam is basically dead

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Wed Aug 16 09:18:26 EDT 2017

On 08/16/2017 08:40 AM, Myles Braithwaite 👾 via talk wrote:
> ac via talk wrote:
>> 1. Bounce when no rDNS (exim/postfix/sendmail/qmail - 2 second conf)
> Sometimes people don't have access to configure Reverse DNS (or PTR) as
> they are sending with a dynamic IP address. This isn't common but at
> least for GTALUG there are five or six people who host their email from
> their home on dynamic IP addresses.
Enough mail servers require a reverse DNS  to accept incoming messages
that running a mail server without a reverse DNS setup correctly will
block you from lots of mail destinations.
Years ago I learned this lesson the hard way.

If all you care about is this mail list and a hand full of other
locations then run your mail server from home with no reverse.

If you can find a properly setup forwarder then you may be able to have
that site resend your messages.

Also lots of ISP's filter outbound smtp connections.

>> 2. Use 10+ dnsbl with properly configured spamassasin (cache locally) -
>> with 2 (or more, or less) points per dnsbl listing
>> (five minutes copy & paste for exim/postfix)
>> -> dnsbl from here: http://multirbl.valli.org/
> I stopped using SpamAssasin a while ago. I know use Rspamd, Rmilter, and
> OpenDMARC. I found SpamAssasin was letting in way to much spam and
> required way to much knowledge to run properly.
I have hated Spamassassin for years but I still use it.
I will have to take a look at rspamd.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   land:  (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||