[GTALUG] Spam is basically dead

ac ac at main.me
Wed Aug 16 08:10:30 EDT 2017

Hi All,

I posted this on another list, then I thought that I should also share here...

Six Golden Rules: ** Spam is basically dead... **

1. Bounce when no rDNS (exim/postfix/sendmail/qmail - 2 second conf)

2. Use 10+ dnsbl with properly configured spamassasin (cache locally) -
with 2 (or more, or less) points per dnsbl listing
(five minutes copy & paste for exim/postfix)
-> dnsbl from here: http://multirbl.valli.org/

3. hard bounce any incoming score over 10 (10 second conf)

4. hand white/black bad domains, like the spammy twitter.com, etc
(also allow your clients to hand manage their own white/black domain
based lists)

5. iptables firewall sorbs drop & block spam nets (no need to worry
about AS jack as you have point 1 (rDNS)

6. Filter outgoing (also using spamassassin & out rulesets) & delete
abusive users (spend money/time on abuse admin)

Andre