[GTALUG] Windows 10 will let everyone run Linux inside Windows following Fall Creators Update - TechRepublic

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Fri Aug 4 23:00:33 EDT 2017

Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> Remember when Linux had a layer to run x86 BSD binaries?  Now freebsd
> can run linux binaries instead.  I think it was called iBCS back in
> the day.

It was, and led to TLUG's finest moment, way back when Linux was new and
there was only one book about it and O'Reilly sent the author (Matt
Welsh, IIRC) on the speech circuit.  He was standing up in Toronto and
got to iBCS and how you could use a Linux system to run all your
commercial Unix binaries and someone in the front row kept interrupting
with minor corrections.  Finally Matt got fed up and declared "_I_ wrote
the book" to which Drew Sullivan replied, "And I wrote the kernel code!"

--
Anthony de Boer