[GTALUG] Desktop swap

Anthony de Boer adb at adb.ca
Fri Aug 4 22:51:33 EDT 2017

Evan Leibovitch via talk wrote:
> For about the mid-nineties to the late aughts, I was a heavy-duty KDE fan.
> The integration and customization was what I needed, it was good looking
> and functional.
>
> Then it started getting more bloated and slower, seemingly outpacing the
> increases in CPU speed and decreases in RAM cost. ...

Back about 25 years ago when I was first in a position to run X
(xterminal on my desk against one of the Unix servers at Geac), Drew
Sullivan gave me a copy of his .fvwmrc (which was already several years
old at that point) to get me started.  That's survived bunchteen system
upgrades (including the advent of fvwm2) and me periodically poking at it
to add things like an MP3 play/pause hotkey.  Still exactly the same RGB
values for active-window and inactive-window, though.

The really nice thing is that all the increases in system speed have
played to my advantage rather than some software-bloatmeister's, and I've
gotten away with still running shockingly-underpowered hardware (this
netbook has only 128 times as much RAM as my first *ix system, so only
about 1/16th what one would want as a minimum buying a computer today).

So I recommend fvwm, lightweight configs, and not constantly leaping on
the latest thing and losing all your finger macros.

--
Anthony de Boer