[GTALUG] KDE Neon [was: Desktop swap]

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Thu Aug 3 18:52:10 EDT 2017

On 2 August 2017 at 12:18, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:

> This doesn't answer your question.  That said, it may be of interest
> given your reasons for leaving KDE.  There's a group of people who
> created a fork of KDE when it went to version 4 because they thought
> KDE 3 was better.  It's called "Trinity:" http://trinitydesktop.org/

​So Trinity is to KDE as Mate is to GNOME ;-).

FOLLOW-UP: it appears that, from here and elsewhere, the widespread advice
is not to have a diversity of desktops to be switched between on a single
system. Conflicting daemons , etc.

Now the choice is down to "which OS"? I have been recommended the KDE
version of Mint over Kubuntu, but my attention has been attracted to
something called "KDE Neon". It strikes me as a fascinating twist, as a
distribution actually produced and supported by the graphic interface
developer. It will get bleeding-edge updates to the UI while the underlying
system is conservative.

Does anyone here have any experience with Neon?

- Evan