[GTALUG] Bitcoin Blockchain Crypto Surface

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Aug 2 16:12:17 EDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 03:46:57PM -0400, Russell wrote:
> On August 2, 2017 2:54:32 PM EDT, Lennart Sorensen via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:54:05PM -0400, Scott Frederick via talk
> >wrote:
> >https://cash.coin.dance/blocks#blockDetails
> >>
> >> Not only that the time between blocks is very long (hours), but every
> >6
> >> blocks the mining difficulty is adjusted. The target is to have
> >Bitcoin
> >> cash blocks mined approximately every 10 minutes as with Bitcoin.
> >> Initially then, the blocks will be even smaller.
> >
> >Hmm, seems while block 478559 was 2MB, then some smaller ones, 478571
> >was 4.6MB, so even larger.
> >
> >No idea what that means though.
>
> Larger blocks mean lower fee percentages for miners. A miner has to be in consensus with other miners on the profitability of crunching the numbers on a block of any given size.
>
> https://medium.com/@johnblocke/a-brief-and-incomplete-history-of-censorship-in-r-bitcoin-c85a290fe43

OK, I had understood that part.  That seems to be the reason for the fork.

I just don't know why there was one huge block among a lot of smaller
ones.

I suppose maybe a lot of stuff just happened in that period.

I don't pay much attention to the crypto currencies.  (Not nothing,
just not much).

--
Len Sorensen