[GTALUG] Skype platform connectivity challenge

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 22:21:24 EDT 2017

Bob,

Thanks for this note -- always glad to have more discussion about this.

I don't know if you remember a Bell Canada commercial from the 80's that
featured four businessmen, each in different locations, starting what
looked like a teleconference. Ended up, they were actually a barbershop
quartet using teleconferencing to hold their practise. You're right, that
due to the latency, this really wouldn't work.

However, the plan is the chorus would be in Toronto, and the coach would be
in St. Louis, MO -- so the latency wouldn't be a significant factor. I have
multiple alternatives to Skype, and the suggestion to use a Rogers Rocket
Stick is a great one, so I may go with that.

I really appreciate all of the comments -- thanks again, all!

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org