[GTALUG] Skype platform connectivity challenge

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Apr 19 21:29:25 EDT 2017

If you're trying to synchronize singing between different locations
you'll probably find that even the fastest connections have
unacceptable latency. Imagine there's a .1 second lag between you.
When the conductor says "Go" the group in the same location starts
immediately, but the remote group hears "Go" at t=0.1 and by the time
the local group hears the remote group start it's t=0.2 There's no way
to synchronize two choirs in different locations (although someone may
be able to synch separate soundtracks in post-production).

But, you may want to try the Mumble client (or Plumble on an Android
device) using a Murmur server.  Mumble allows you to record each
remote connection separately in its own sound file for post-production
processing.

Mumble /Plumble / Murmur is an audio-only solution, no video. There's
a text chat channel, tho.

- --Bob.