[GTALUG] Skype platform connectivity challenge

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Wed Apr 19 00:32:33 EDT 2017

I've now been involved in two different organizations switching over to
Zoom (zoom.us). One of its main strengths is working in parts of the world
with awful connectivity (especially if not using video).

Free accounts enable audio/video/chat meetings of up to 50 people for 40
minutes max per meeting. A paid account ($15US/mo) unlocks the 40 minute
limit and adds other goodies.

Might be worth a test. Do a 5 minute try and see how much data it eats.

On 19 April 2017 at 00:10, Mauro Souza via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Try DiscordApp. I use it for gaming, not sure if the bandwidth will be
> enough.
>
> On Apr 19, 2017 01:08, "Alex Beamish via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My chorus is thinking about having a coach work with us over a Skype
>> connection, with the catch that we rehearse at a church whose WiFi we're
>> not allowed to use. (It's complicated.)
>>
>> It would be possible to use a cell phone as a hotspot, but I'm not sure
>> if it would provide enough bandwidth for the call. The rehearsal would be
>> about three hours, so at 128kbps (Google's answer for Video calling), that
>> would burn through 135M, so about 1/7 of my monthly allotment. Then again,
>> video isn't necessarily required, and that would cut down the required
>> bandwidth to 30kbps.
>>
>> Are there any alternative products or services that anyone could suggest
>> for this type of application?
>>
>> --
>> Alex Beamish
>>
>> Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
>> Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
>> www.northernlightschorus.com
>> Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
>> www.barbershop.org
>>

>> ---
>> Talk Mailing List
>> talk at gtalug.org