[GTALUG] Skype platform connectivity challenge

Marc Lijour marc at lijour.net
Wed Apr 19 00:17:43 EDT 2017

https://ring.cx open source and fully distributed skype replacement.

Unfortunately for you, the bandwidth consumption is close to skype for
video calls according to UQAM (Montreal university) tests. The chat
consumes way less, but it sounds you want audio + video.

On 2017-04-19 12:08 AM, Alex Beamish via talk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My chorus is thinking about having a coach work with us over a Skype
> connection, with the catch that we rehearse at a church whose WiFi
> we're not allowed to use. (It's complicated.)
>
> It would be possible to use a cell phone as a hotspot, but I'm not
> sure if it would provide enough bandwidth for the call. The rehearsal
> would be about three hours, so at 128kbps (Google's answer for Video
> calling), that would burn through 135M, so about 1/7 of my monthly
> allotment. Then again, video isn't necessarily required, and that
> would cut down the required bandwidth to 30kbps.
>
> Are there any alternative products or services that anyone could
> suggest for this type of application?
>
> --
> Alex Beamish
>
> Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
> Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
> www.northernlightschorus.com <http://www.northernlightschorus.com>
> Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
> www.barbershop.org <http://www.barbershop.org>

*Marc Lijour*
Email:marc at lijour.net <mailto:marc at lijour.net>
Ring:3e447c5477143b7c881c0730c152f8f0678501e5Join the Ring!
<http://ring.cx>
Skype:marclijour
Phone: *+1 647 384 7746 *