[GTALUG] Skype platform connectivity challenge

Alex Beamish talexb at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:08:27 EDT 2017

Hi all,

My chorus is thinking about having a coach work with us over a Skype
connection, with the catch that we rehearse at a church whose WiFi we're
not allowed to use. (It's complicated.)

It would be possible to use a cell phone as a hotspot, but I'm not sure if
it would provide enough bandwidth for the call. The rehearsal would be
about three hours, so at 128kbps (Google's answer for Video calling), that
would burn through 135M, so about 1/7 of my monthly allotment. Then again,
video isn't necessarily required, and that would cut down the required
bandwidth to 30kbps.

Are there any alternative products or services that anyone could suggest
for this type of application?

--
Alex Beamish

Software Developer / https://ca.linkedin.com/in/alex-beamish-5111ba3
Baritone, Board Member, Toronto Northern Lights, 2013 Champions /
www.northernlightschorus.com
Certified Contest Administrator, Barbershop Harmony Society /
www.barbershop.org