[GTALUG] tablet-with-keyboard deal?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 18 14:57:05 EDT 2017

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 02:22:49PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier via talk wrote:
> I've never seen or touched one of these so I cannot attest to the
> qualities of the actual device.
>
> <http://www.ebay.ca/itm/eduGear-11-6-Tablet-With-Keyboard-Intel-Core-i3-128GB-SSD-4GB-BT-Win-10Pro-/322479819300>
>
> - sale ends in 20 hours
>
> - $249.99 + tax, free shipping.  Netbook price, but better
>
> - low power Haswell Intel i3 processor.  Still takes a lot of power for a
>   tablet, but pretty good for an i3.  Introduced 4 years ago.
>
> - only 1266x768 resolution, but on 11.6" notebook that's OK (we expect
>   more of tablets)

You must have had an off by one keyboard error, since it appearts to be
1366x768, which makes sense since it is a common size.

> - Comes with Win 10 pro and MS Office 2016, which is worth something to
>   somebody.
>
> - eduGear seems to be a local Markham company targetting education.  Same
>   address as CDI (I saw it every time I went to the IBM lab a couple of
>   weeks ago).
>
> - IPS screen (good)
>
> - USB 3 (good)
>
> - 4G RAM (not bad)
>
> - 128G SSD (nice)
>
> - Supports 802.11ac (good)
>
> - beware: the keyboard or its attachment may be annoying

Could be.

It appears to be the model edugear OneBook EAS23, although most came
with Win10 Home and without the keyboard, so with pro and the keyboard
that does seem like an interesting device.

SD slot is handy.  One USB port is rather limited, but much better than
zero.  No wired ethernet, but I must admit I rarely use that these days,
and USB exists.

--
Len Sorensen