[GTALUG] Shopping for barebone PC

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 17:05:10 EDT 2017

On 17 April 2017 at 12:54, Evan Leibovitch via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I will probably be shopping for a new barebone PC system in the neatr
> future. I'm looking for recommendations for both a barebones model and the
> best CPU for it.
>
> Intended OS is Linux Mint, Main uses are for browsing (Chromium), Samba
> client and video conversion using Handbrake. Most files will be on a server,
> in fact the new system could get by with just a minimal-sized SSD.
>
> Also appreciated is a link to anywhere that would tell me, at any given
> moment, the current state/generation of Intel processors to help the
> shopping process.

I do this seldom enough that it has now been a couple of years since I
last did it.

I bought a Zotac ID-88U, which is one of the quite-little Zotac boxes
that's square+thin unit with a quad-core i3 processor.
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/steele.html

I would presume that there's something new now using the processors
being built in 2017; the general rule is that i3 is cheap, i5 is pretty
nice, i7 is likely hyperfast but also hyper expensive.

There's a new generation of AMDs that seemed to be worth looking at,
too.