[GTALUG] Keeping it alive: Nexus 7 (2012) running lineageOS 14.1

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Fri Apr 14 22:45:36 EDT 2017

At Hacklab.to's recent Junk Day, I managed to acquire the older model of
the Nexus 7 (2012 WIFI, aka grouper). It's most recent vendor firmware
was Android 5.1.1 and it ran like molasses.

So I decided to take a look at getting LineageOS on it. Firstly to see
if I could, second to have recent version of android, and three to
remove any bloat by having a lean starting point.

For those unfamiliar, the Company named Cyanogen, imploded, and so the
community android distro of the same name, re-branded and are continuing
the work under the name LineageOS. I've already been testing it on a
nexus 4, and will likely move my OnePlus One to it in the foreseeable
future.

LinageOS 14.1 is Android 7.1 equivalent.

After a look around the internet, I found a dev doing a not yet official
build of lineageOS for the Nexus 7 (2012). And an official build of TWRP
which is LineageOS's recommend recovery image.

https://twrp.me/devices/asusnexus72012wifi.html
http://www.lineageosdownloads.com/download-nexus-7-2012-lineage-os/
http://opengapps.org/ (ARM, 7.1, Pico)

Modifying the general instructions (and having done this a few times,
they really are all the same).
https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/flo/install

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem unlock
fastboot reboot
fastboot flash recovery /home/scott/Downloads/twrp-3.1.0-0-grouper.img

# reboot into recovery

adb push
/home/scott/Downloads/lineage-14.1-20170315-UNOFFICIAL-aaopt-grouper.zip
/sdcard/
adb push /home/scott/Downloads/open_gapps-arm-7.1-pico-20170414.zip /sdcard/

# then install these ZIPs and reboot.

Took a long time to get through initial boot, and then first time
configuration. But when it was all done, while it is still a bit laggy
to use, it noticeably better then before. Also by using the pico package
all the stock google bloat is gone, basically just having the play store
to install only the apps I need.

It's now good enough to be a kitchen 'doohicky'.

I know there are a number of folks with Nexus 7 (2013) in your
community, but any earlier adopters of the 2012 might appreciate this.

--
Scott Sullivan