[GTALUG] Newegg.ca sales -- Linksys WRT1900AC, Samsung 128GB USB sticks

Russell rreiter91 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 06:22:40 EDT 2017

On Apr 8, 2017 6:47 PM, "William Park via talk" <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:

> Something I noticed while shopping on Newegg.ca:
>
> 1. Linksys WRT1900AC -- $155.99 reburbished.  I don't know what that
> means.  Why was it returned in the first place?
<snip>

Any reason that the retailer uses to accept a return is designated as Returned Merchandise Authorized by a manufacturer. Since they don't want their traditional retail supply chain to sell their "used" equipment, the retailer sends it back to the manufacturer through the distributors RMA process. It's a part of corporate Quality Assurance process.

If the unit was damaged or faulty it is refurbished or recycled. It is never retailed as a used product but as a refurbished product.

Back in the day, 97 or so, any linux user had a bonanza on refurbished Fujitsu drives. Something in MS Windows didn't allocate partitions correctly and reported the drives total capacity as much smaller than advertising said it was. They were being RMA by the truckload. However use an ext filesystem and bingo, full capacity at a third the price.

In fact refurbished often means more trustworthy than new, because of all the extra testing. The future waranty and this includes the implied warrany of serviceability all new and RMA products are vended under, all depends on the RMA chain of documentation.

--
Russell
Sent by K-9 Mail