[GTALUG] curious... Linux vs BSD ?

Alvin Starr alvin at netvel.net
Fri Sep 30 11:06:51 EDT 2016

On 09/30/2016 10:47 AM, o1bigtenor wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Alvin Starr via talk <talk at gtalug.org> wrote:
>> On 09/29/2016 11:52 PM, Peter King via talk wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 10:45:09AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen via talk wrote:
> snip
>> Not sure why people have a hate on for systemd.
>> It is a pain to learn a new way to manage your systems but it solves a
>> number of problems and gets systems into a usable state faster in the face
>> of startup problems.
>> I curse systemd on a daily basis because my fingers know init but quite
>> frankly having to wait 30 minutes for a system to boot up with init because
>> some network connections need to time out is a major pain when its a
>> critical system and the phones are all lit up.
>> systemd removes the single threaded-ness of init and also provides a much
>> better mechanism for dependency resolution.
> snip
>
> Well - - - I can tell you why I find systemd a royal PITA. Systemd wants to be
> everything to everybody. That's astronomically difficult to do and what is in
> place today doesn't work half as well as it purports to. I have run
> into some of
> the issues which have resulted in a lot of hair pulling (hard when
> there's little
> left) in the process of resolving issues.
>
> I think that the original *nix thinking of doing one thing (at a time)
> and doing
> it well or better is my preferred solution. Part of the problem is
> that, even in
Well...
the init process we are use to is not the original init process used by
linux.
Once again linux vacuumed up something, in this case the system-V init
and tuned it with a whole batch of problems when it was first introduced.
Now it works well but for the fact that there can be a huge number of
init processes starting at system start up and the dependencies are not
handled well.

There was thought of using a make like system to process the
dependencies but that would carry its own bag of problems.

> linux, there are too many silos being built and not enough communication.
>
> I wonder if that is because most of the code writers are not really human
> communicators rather they are far better machine communicators?
> What say you?
>
> Dee
> .
There is an old programmer axiom.
"If it was hard to write it should be hard to understand"

But yes.
As a rule FOSS documentation sucks because it takes lots of time and
often more time than the original work.
Combine that with people using the support and documentation as a way to
get paid for the project.
You end up with bad documents by nature and by design.

--
Alvin Starr                   ||   voice: (905)513-7688
alvin at netvel.net              ||