[GTALUG] curious... Linux vs BSD ?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Sep 29 10:45:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 11:24:13PM -0400, William Park via talk wrote:
> Just curious about state of Linux vs BSD...  I use Linux, but examining
> my use case carefully, I don't really "use" Linux.  I use applications
> and tools found in Linux distro.  These applications and tools can also
> be found in BSD distro.
>
> To those who knows/uses both BSD and Linux...  Should I learn BSD, and
> which one?

Well my personal opinion is that working with BSD is too painful (gnu
tools are much better and has the expected features) and the linux kernel
is much more up to date on hardware support (Maybe not too relevant
to most people but I remember FreeBSD announcing support for 64 CPUs
recently, while Linux is already at 4096).  Unless things have changed,
the startup scripts are barely more advanced than DOS, and inflicting
csh or tsch on people is evil given it is harmful. :)

So for me, bsd is only a necessary evil to be used if linux won't run
on the hardware, and the last time I had to resort to netbsd to get a
machine running and doing useful stuff was about 18 years ago.

I just can't find anything BSD does that linux doesn't or that BSD does
better than linux.  Unless you really don't like the GPL.

--
Len Sorensen