[GTALUG] Write-protect on a MicroSD card?

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Tue Sep 13 17:30:45 EDT 2016

Hey all.

A MicroSD card just went corrupt in an RPi and I'm wondering if it can be
salvaged or reformatted.

I can read from it no problem (two partitions, /boot is FAT and / is ext2).
But it appears that the thing appears to the reader as enabling hardware
write-protection, as if I had engaged the little slider on a regular sized
SD card.

Any suggestions? Both Windows (sdcard.org formatting tool) and Linux (dd)
refuse to write to it, and the "dirty bit" can't be cleared from the boot
partition.

​Any suggestions? Or is the card toast?​

​Thanks!​

--
Evan Leibovitch
Geneva, CH